One of the small but tangible side effects of the winter/spring’s depression is a near-complete lack of knitting photography. I did knit, sometimes because it was about the only thing I could do that felt remotely productive, and I got stuff done, but I just didn’t have the energy or give-a-damn level to take photos of it when it was done. Couple that with the fact that my long-term memory for the months between, say, December and March is spotty – seriously, I don’t care that Zoloft contributed to me having a 4th of July seizure in my front yard, it worked wonders for me while I was on it and my only regret is that I didn’t start on it sooner – and you get a sadly incomplete record of my knitting adventures for the year.
So, I’m doing what I can to make up for it now, though several of my recent projects have been baby hats – at least six women in my acquaintance are pregnant or have newborns – and I tend to just hand those over as soon as they’re done. Still, when I remember to, I’m taking photos.
From April to now, then…
I think I might have posted these already, but they’re cute enough to warrant a second look. They were sent on down to ETW, a blog reader who won my birthday knitwear giveaway and opted to have me make something for a friend of hers who was expecting her first baby, a girl, with a pink-and-green nursery theme.
A simple hat-and-socks set in merino, wish I could remember the brand name because the pooling and colors made me quite happy, but I can’t. And a Hemlock Ring baby blanket in Reynold’s Play Time.
Then, a Car Hat set… I designed the hat for Jacob a while ago, published it here because it’s cute and simple, and have enjoyed watching a few others around the Internet make their own versions. Threw the mittens together, I think I might have written the pattern down… if so, I’ll post it sometime, just to have a complete set.
Created in Wool Ease, over the course of about two evenings.
For Melanie, another blog reader, a pair of fingerless mitts for her daughter… and a few extras somehow found their way into the package, because I felt so guilty for taking for-ev-er to get them sent off. (Finished in June, mailed in September… there’s really no excuse but for my own laziness.) Of course, I forgot to take photos of those, but fine. The better to keep it a surprise when it arrives, right?
No specific pattern, just made to fit a bit snugly on me, with some cables to keep it interesting. Made in Valley Yarns Longmeadow.
My biggest project for the summer was for my sister Sarah, who had picked out the Icarus shawl from Interweave Knits. It didn’t take all that long… I cast on in late June, I think, and was finished by mid-August. But it was my first lace project, and the first time I added beads to knitwear, so it was a challenge all around. I’m quite happy with it, and only wish I’d remembered to take some better photos of it. As it is, I almost didn’t get any full-project shots at all, only one as I was in the process of unpinning it after blocking:
I did grab a few more detailed shots, and it really is a beautiful piece of work. The yarn was a gift from the lovely Alice, in Vancouver… I know it’s an Artyarns creation, but can’t remember the name. I really need to write this stuff down.
Another baby set, this one intended for myself and friend J, each due in the spring. She’s not a knitter, but will likely end up with too much knitwear anyway, because I’ve just been knitting two of everything that catches my eye and will pass the doubles along to her. Poor woman, can you imagine?
Made with Bernat Cotton Tots yarn, no pattern to speak of. Modeled by L’s daughter… who ended up stealing the set I’d planned to keep for my own baby… already using her cuteness in service of kleptomania. I should be able to forgive her, I think.
And, last but not least, a sweater made just for myself. I think I finished it in May. I know I cast on for it in the spring, very shortly after the Zoloft started working. So it’s a symbolic sort of thing, the optimism of casting on a large project for myself, and of coming out of such a nasty, dark place. The pattern is by Kate Gilbert and is called Wisteria. I made it precisely as written, except substituting with Cascade Eco+ yarn, and am thrilled with it. If – maybe even, when – I make it again, the only real change would be to do some more waist shaping, because it tends to bag a bit on me. Then again, that’s just about perfect as my belly expands…